Leven Amateur Musical Association
Short History of the Leven Amateur Musical Association
The Leven Amateur Musical Association was formed on 16th October, 1872, as the Leven Amateur Musical Association and Choral Society. A Bill was exhibited in Leven on 11th October, 1872 as follows:—
“AMATEUR MUSICAL ASSOCIATION and CHORAL SOCIETY.
It is proposed to form a Society of the above description in Leven to have for its object the practice of Vocal Music, particularly Music of the higher class. An Annual payment by each Member of 3/- would, it is thought, defray expenses. All who would wish to join such a Society are invited to meet in the Town Hall, on Wednesday Evening 16th inst., at half-past seven o'clock.
A Roll of Honorary Members will also be formed, and those who may feel an interest in such an undertaking and would be inclined to support the Society by becoming Honorary Members, are also invited to be present.
Leven, 11th October, 1872."
The Minute of the Meeting on
Minute of Meeting held in terms of the foregoing Bill within the Town Hall. Leven, on
Mr. H. Tandy Peter,
Unanimously agreed to: Henry Tandy Peter Esquire,
Finnian's Rainbow 1986
The names of those present who proposed to become Members were then taken down when Forty five Ordinary Members gave in their names.
It was intimated that the Rev Mr Duncan had offered the use of his school (the old United Presbyterian Church) for the practisings – and a vote of thanks to him was unanimously passed.
Arranged to meet next Wednesday night 23rd inst in Mr Duncan’s school at eight o’clock.
A vote of thanks to Mr Peter for presiding was passed by acclamation and the meeting separated.
It was afterwards agreed (on 23rd October) that the subscription for Ordinary Members be six shillings and that for Honorary Members be ten shillings and sixpence. The following Office Bearers were appointed:-
President – H Tandy Peter Esq
Vice President – James Anderson Esq
Secretary – James H Smith Esq
Treasurer – Alexander Terris Esq
Council – Messers Christopher Adamson, John Balfour,
William Burgess and David Kidd
The whole to form the Committee.
It is most interesting to note that the Subscription for the Ordinary Members in 1971-1972 is still six shillings (now 30p) as it was first decided upon in 1872 – so much for inflation!
The Association's first production was the Oratorio " The Creation'' presented in 1873. The productions from that date until 1897 were all choral works.
In 1897 a change was made when the first musical “Comedy’’ H.M.S. Pinafore was presented. From that date until 1915 Oratorios and Gilbert and Sullivan productions were presented.
A break from 1915 to 1920 due to the First War was made and productions recommenced in 1920. In 1923 a departure was made when “A Country Girl" was produced and after 1926 musical comedy was presented until 1939.
A further break occurred from 1940 to 1947 due to the Second World War and musical Productions have continued since that date.
From 1950 until 1966 theAssociation produced Dramatic Shows in addition to the musical productions.
Anything Goes 1992